Skip to main content

Pride and Swagger- Kinda Proud Lots of Swagger, by Eileen Broome

At first glance, Pride and Swagger seems like it would be a really cool place to hang out and have drinks now that I’m 21. The sign on the door says if you’re homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, racist or sexist don’t come in. That is a tell tale sign that as an open bi woman I would be welcomed in. However, I found a different story on the inside.
When I walked in, I expected to find a cool local queer bar that I could hang out in, where I could just be in touch with my queer identity. What I actually found was a very cis-gay-male oriented stereotyped congregation. There was absolutely no room for me here. It was a different experience than my first immersion when I went to a drag show at Tracks and found it to be more inclusive than I would have imagined.
In this space, I found it to not be very queer at all. It did not represent any other population other than cis gay males, even the bartenders were white, affluent, able-bodied, cis males. There are many authors throughout this semester that have shown that the LGBTQIA+ community is not as inclusive as it seems. To begin with I thought they may have been wrong to some extent, but as my eyes are opened to things such as gay shame, I realize that these spaces exist within the bounds of what society has allowed.
Pride and Swagger had no openness to pride, but a lot of swagger. It was adorned with rainbow everything and an almost caricature of what it looks like to be gay. It reminded me of the statement about gay shame, in which author Sycamore states that gay shame aims to promote culture and diversity and not buy shit.

I feel like after walking into this bar and feeling more uncomfortable than I do in a regular bar, I found out why people have developed a problem with gay pride. I already knew that I as a bisexual felt like an outsider in the community but at the same time I am a white, cis, straight-passing person who can live within certain communities welcomed, but in this one not so much. It was a new experience I felt was important to be a part of, and learn from. It was a real life introduction to the damage that stereotypes have done to my community.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post for Thursday, August 30—Welcome to “Justice, Gender, Sexuality”

Welcome to our course blog—“Justice, Gender, Sexuality”!  In this space, you’ll have the chance to reflect on our course reading, ask questions, interact with each other and build a virtual community to complement our classroom space. For this first post, I’d like to invite you to do two things:  First, tell us more about yourself.  What do you think we should know about you as we begin this semester together?  You might consider these questions:  Who are you?  How do you identify?  Where are you from?  To whom do you belong?  What communities are you a part of?  What values or beliefs do you hold dear?  Or, share some other facet about yourself that you think is significant.  You might also consider telling us more about why you decided to take this course, and what you hope to learn from it. Then, please reflect on the reading assigned for class.  Given ...

Blog Post for Tuesday, September 11: Intersectional Queerness

In preparation for Tuesday's class, I'd like you to do two things:  First, take a moment to reflect on the Brave Space Training.  What did you learn from this experience, and how are thinking and feeling about queer issues after last week's training? Second, identify a key issue or point from Hall's third chapter--"Queering Class, Race, Gender, and Sexual Understanding"--that you take to be central to understanding his larger argument in this chapter.  What is his point?  And what does he write (so make sure to integrate at least one quotation/citation from his writing that helps you in your analysis) that helps convey this point?  Last,  why do you think this point is important and what question(s) does it raise for you that you would like the rest of us to discuss in class on Tuesday? As usual, please aim for at least 250 words.  Include a quotation (cited, with page number) from the text, and take care to edit your response.  Thank you!

Blog Post for Tuesday, September 4: The Question of Queer History

Donald Hall opens our reading for Tuesday, by asking, “Is a ‘queer’ history even possible?” (21). Given his subsequent discussion, how should we answer this question?  As you respond, please integrate at least two concrete examples or direct citations from Hall’s chapter and use your analysis of them to help you explain his claims about queer history and identity. What’s significant about his discussion, especially in relation to fostering justice for queer folks? Aim for at least 250 words in your comment to this post. Make sure to take time to edit it for clarity and correctness.  I look forward to reading what you have to say!